In Texas, there are many different species of ants. Although many of them may look similar, these ants are very different. The difference may not be their color but how they interact with other insects, how they build their nests and where they live. Understanding ant characteristics and habitats will help you determine which ant species you have.
Pyramid Ants Characteristics and Habitat
The pyramid ant has some distinct characteristics. These characteristics include:
- The head color which is either red or reddish-black.
- The back has a pyramid shape sticking up.
- They live in small colonies with only one queen.
- These ants prefer a diet of sweets such as honeydew.
- They build their nests in sunny, sandy soils.
Characteristics of The Big-Headed Ant
This ant also has a distinct characteristic, its big head. Other features are:
- The ant is reddish-brown in color.
- Two types of worker ants. The soldier ant has the big head. While the minor worker is smaller.
- They are not choosy in their diet. They will eat just about anything.
- The colonies are extremely large.
- They build their home under logs or stones.
Pharaoh Ant Traits
The pharaoh ant is a pest that is usually found indoors. A pharaoh ant has the following characteristics:
- They are generally yellow or light brown in color.
- This ant is translucent.
- They colonize in the most inconspicuous places within the house.
Black Carpenter Ant and Carpenter Ants
The black carpenter ant and carpenter ant are probably one of the most widely known ants. It can be recognized by its:
- Larger size compared to other ant species.
- All black body.
- Males have wings and fly.
- They bite.
- They build their homes in wood, but they do not eat it.
- They live in a large colony with one queen.
- Their diet consists of plant juices, food scraps and fungus.
- The black carpenter ant is larger in size than the carpenter ant.
Crazy Ant Characteristics
The crazy ant is one of the most destructive ants in Texas. They have been known to chew through electrical wires. Other characteristics include:
- A reddish-brown coloring.
- They are fast and move unpredictably. Hence the name crazy ant.
- They feed on other insects.
- They do bite.
- They connect their colonies to form bigger colonies.
- They do not have many natural predators.
- Extermination is difficult.
These are just a few of the ant species located in Texas. For more information about the ants located in your area, contact Hart Pest Control today!